Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The First 3 Months

Wow! It is amazing how fast time can pass. Tomorrow, my sweet baby boy will be 5 months old! WHAT?!?!?! What the heck happened to my tiny newborn baby??? Well, I guess there is no time like the present to write a little something about the first 3 months (I figure I'll tackle months 4 and 5 another day).

From day one, Rhett was very alert. He always had wide open eyes, taking in everything around him. One of the comments that we heard many times from people was how little he resembled a newborn, that he just looked like a little boy. Another popular comment was how expressive his face was! I would have to agree.




He was, and still is a very happy, calm baby. We have been so lucky to be blessed with such a good little boy. I can probably only count on one hand the number of times that he has cried for more than a few minutes and for no apparent reason. I learned quickly, that if he was crying or fussy, he was letting me know that he was hungry, tired, bored or gassy.


The first month was a big time of transition and learning, which made me even more grateful to have Bryan around for the first two weeks. From learning to breastfeed, changing diapers and adjusting to the lack of sleep, we certainly had a lot of fun getting to know our new baby boy. I can't even count the number of hours I spent just staring at his cute little face. We also tried to spend as much time as we could with family and friends so that they too could get to know Rhett. I am kicking myself a little bit for not writing things down as they happened (which is one of the reasons that I started blogging again) because I am already having a hard time remembering significant dates or events from just a few months ago! One thing that I do remember though, as this has not changed, is how much Rhett loves bath time! Aside from his first bath in the hospital (which he screamed through), he was never had a bath that he has not enjoyed!

1 month - 9 pounds, 14 ounces




By his second and third month, Rhett was really starting to grow and change. I was so excited for him to start reaching some milestones, but also sad as I started to lose some of the moments I had cherished when he was just a newborn (like cuddling with him for hours as he slept). At around 5 weeks, Rhett was starting to lift his head up during tummy time, which I personally give him a lot of credit for since he has such a LARGE head (it measures in the 95th percentile!!!). It was around 7-8 weeks old that he really started to smile...like actually smile at myself or Bryan. Before that, he smiled quite a bit but it was always when he was asleep (must have good dreams!).  At around 10 weeks Rhett discovered his hands and loved to suck on his fist and fingers. He was also starting to develop the ability to reach out and grasp onto objects.

I would say during these months, Rhett really loved playing with his dad! Whenever Bryan gets home from work, he always takes Rhett with him and messes around with him on the bed or on a blanket on the floor. Bryan will pretend fight and wrestle with Rhett and the kid absolutely LOVES it! To this day I would say that is one of the things that elicits the most smiles and giggles! We also went on a few short road trips. We spent one day driving up to Calgary to do some shopping and visit with family and we also took a day trip down to Great Falls to get a head start on our Christmas shopping. Rhett did so well on these trips, such a great traveler (minus the blowout he had in the parking lot at the Coutts border that went all the way up his back!...good thing I packed extra clothes)!

2 months - 11 pounds, 6 ounces





3 months - 12 pounds, 12 ounces

All in all, those first 3 months flew by but I had so much fun learning to be a mom and watching my baby grow each day. And although the details I have written in this post may be a little foggy, I am grateful that I have written something down, even if it is not perfect! And like the famous adage, "A picture is worth a thousand words", I have HUNDREDS of pictures so that has to count for something, right???

1 comment:

  1. no doubt about it, he is a cutie patutie!!! He must take after a certain grand ma ma! ;-)

    ReplyDelete